POUGHKEEPSIE, NY - 17 July 2008 HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARK!

Sick Puppies live! Ticket links and venue information. Tell us about the shows you're going to or the ones you've already seen here!
Donna
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: POUGHKEEPSIE, NY - 17 July 2008 HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARK!

Unread postby Donna » 19 Jul 2008 09:31

Amazing shots Logan !!! And listening to the video makes me want Wednesday to get here even faster!
Brian - I'm glad Emma is enjoying the Patron :biggrin:

I believe in nothing, not the day and not the dark. I believe in nothing but the beating of our hearts

hshiau
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Unread postby hshiau » 19 Jul 2008 10:02

Video of Emma

Donna
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Donna » 19 Jul 2008 10:15

^^^Thanks Howard!!! She is so amazing ! :rock:

And your camera's sound is phenomenal!

I believe in nothing, not the day and not the dark. I believe in nothing but the beating of our hearts

nicolenice
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Unread postby nicolenice » 19 Jul 2008 10:22

Emma is a freakin beast she is great and so my ideal. Thanks so much for posting that video.

Serge
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Serge » 19 Jul 2008 11:58

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."

logan

Unread postby logan » 19 Jul 2008 12:42

-Logan

Samsung
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Samsung » 19 Jul 2008 12:45

Nice picture Logan.

And that video with Emma is AMAZING!!!

My avatar is always watching.

Katy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Katy » 19 Jul 2008 13:08

Is it just me or is Mark sticking his tongue out in that pic in the graphic? It's hard to tell.

hshiau
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby hshiau » 19 Jul 2008 13:22

Not much of a recap from me. I was on line with Logan and his friends as well as Jami and her boyfriend. When Jami was picking up her tickets, someone from the radio station picked Logan, his buddies, and me as part of a group to meet the band. We got our t-shirts signed and I got a chance to ask Shim about the bracelets he wore. He said that they're nothing special...just accessories. Mark told me to post on the forum that we should get Shim more bracelets. I suggested we throw them on stage during the concert....as long as we don't get thrown out by security.

As everyone has said, the set was too short but it was the most energetic part of the whole concert. I'm sure many "The band that shall not be named" fans were suitably impressed. I didn't really listen much to most of the other music although we made sure we were inside when Emma came on to play with "The band that shall not be named".

Afterwards,I had a great time hanging out with the Sick Puppies as well as the ambassadors and their friends. I was suprised there wasn't more drinking at the birthday party. They were subdued as were we. Still it was incredible that they came out and hung with us afterwards. Definitely one more thing that makes them a great band.

It's great to be able to put faces to names now. To Donna, Katy, Logan, Jami, Danielle, Kemmy, Sheila, Brian, Tara and everyone else I met...it was a blast hanging out with you guys. I wish I could make the Atlantic City show but it's not to be. Hopefully, they'll be in the area again soon and we'll get a chance to party together.

dressedupaslife
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby dressedupaslife » 19 Jul 2008 13:53

Howard,

I have to totally agree with your review. It was awesome getting to hang with so many other fellow Ambassadors. It does suck that the hotel bar closed before we could enjoy a few drinks !!! Luckily I had that cooler packed full of Mark's favorite beer and Jack Daniels so that the band could have something anyways. It was very evident Mark was overwhelmed and was feeling all the love.........
Mark, just cause you're not from Australia, nor the original drummer, that doesn't effect the way we feel about you. We love you just as much as Em and Shim, don't EVER forget that !!!

Brian
Last edited by dressedupaslife on 20 Jul 2008 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

I'm sending out a signal to the possibility of you...
'Cause right at this moment, I know you're connected to a part of me that I don't even know myself.

Justine
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Justine » 19 Jul 2008 14:02

Thanks everyone for sharing your photos, videos and stories... Ooooh lucky you ! :smile:

Crystal
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Crystal » 19 Jul 2008 14:59

Yes, thank you all so much! All that suspense was killing me!! :laugh:

Katy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Katy » 19 Jul 2008 17:35

Here we go!!! You guys want details? Be prepared to sit for a few minutes cause this is gonna be a novel. :) I'm not kidding.

I rode to Poughkeepsie with my friend, Tara (user name tara_rific) and we met up with Donna, Sheila, Kemmy, and Jami in the lobby of the hotel that was attached to the venue. We dropped the cake off at the front desk, discussed the party for Mark and the fact that it was going to be held right there in the lobby of the hotel after the whole concert was over.

After figuring out where we had to go to pick up our tickets, we walked ALL the way to the back of the line which ran down the front of the venue and all the way down the side of the building as well. It moved fairly quickly, though and security (the people that pat you down before you go into the venue) allowed the cameras to go through which was sweet.

Mercury Rising were playing on stage when we first walked in so we watched the end of their set which was good. We waited inside to keep our good spots to watch the Pups set. Which, they of course rocked our faces off! I think it was after the 3rd song, someone came out from backstage to give Mark a glass of beer and a blow up doll that had 3 boobs. :laugh:

They announced when they were on their last song so we beat the crowds out to the front. We grabbed the clipboards and had people filling them out while they were waiting for their autographs. Unfortunately, the Pups left before they could get through the whole line because Finger 11 started up. I hung around out by the Merch tables cause I didn't have much interest in seeing them. I passed the time by looking for people that were wearing SP merchandise or holding a poster and giving them the Merch tags so they could get entered into a drawing. Tara was really helpful with this the whole night. As I was talking to one person, she'd be on the lookout for the next person so it ended up working out great. I printed about 75 - 100 merch tags and by the end of the night, I was down to three - one of which I kept because I had the Pups sign the back of it and another one I kept because Howard verified that I bought one piece of merchandise (free hugs shirt to wear to the concert on Sunday.) We also had the opportunity to speak with Gerry a bit at this point, so that was cool. When Finger 11 finished up, we went around with the clipboards again, the merch tags, and this time I had found stickers to hand out as well (Thanks Gerry!). After the third time of asking him for more stickers, I just started to take them, making sure he saw that I was grabbing another handful. It seemed like an unusually long amount of time between Finger 11 and "The band that shall not be named" so I had ended up walking through the seating areas to find more people that I might have missed with SP merchandise. One of the best parts of the night was having a reason to go up and randomly talk to anyone and everyone. Seriously.

When "The band that shall not be named" was on stage, most of us were (can you guess? lol) out front by the Merch tables. It ended up working out great actually because Mark came out front and we chatted with him for a bit and took photos. This is also where we had to push Donna's friend over toward him so she could get a picture - she was so nervous! It was adorable but she got the picture and I bet she doesn't regret it at all. Howard had asked Mark if he had an idea of when Emma was going to be joining "The band that shall not be named" on stage. He guessed that it would be about two to three more songs. I was finishing up talking to a couple of people about the tags for SP stuff when Tara told me that Mark and the rest of our group had walked inside to watch "The band that shall not be named". We joined them inside and then she pointed out that Mark was standing all by himself in the crowd watching the show, no more than 10 feet from us. Of course, I had to walk over there, I couldn't let him watch the show all by his lonesome, right? We watched two songs together, I think, and commented on the solo from the drummer of "The band that shall not be named" (who literally beat the living CRAP out of his drumset, he had the sticks moving so fast it looked as if he was playing with 3 or 4 of them) and the fact that we're waiting around for Emma to join them on stage. When the next song started up, he excused himself politely saying, "I gotta go to the bathroom (did he really say potty or was I hearing things?), but I'll be right back. Actually, you know that we're going to have another signing session after so meet us up front, k?" Well, we stuck around to cheer for Emma while she was on stage with "The band that shall not be named" and then it was back out front to make sure I got a good place in line for autographs.

Tara and I were in the first part of the line and when we got up to the table I decided at the last minute to have them sign my Free Hugs shirt plus I had them sign the back of one of the Merch tags I had. I asked Shim if he was feeling any better and he said, "A bit, just gotta stay warm." I nodded and was going to say something to Emma or Mark and he asks, "Wait, how'd you know?" I proudly held up my badge and said, "From the board, I'm a World Crew Ambassador." He smiles really big and said, "That's great! Go ahead and grab a clip board to get some names down on there for us." So I grabbed the clipboard again then my shirt and paper and walked back down the line asking people to sign up. By this time, I think we should all be proud to say, there was only ONE sheet left on the three clipboards whereas a couple hours earlier I believe that there were 4 - 5 sheets per clipboard (get ready Newsletter Input team!) While waiting for the band to finish getting through the line, I was even getting staff members of the venue to sign up on the list. :laugh: Sidenote: I did ask Paul if he wanted one of the Ambassadors to take the sheets so we could get them entered in.

So the line finally dissipates (spent some time talking to the creator of the Emma Anzai MySpace Fan page around this time (Brittany, I think?), she asked about being an Ambassador so I told her a bit about it until she told me that she's almost 14 yrs. old then it was like, "Well, in a couple of years...") and the band stood up for the people that were sticking around to take pictures. Everyone formed a line and Paul (after receiving a quick tutorial for every single camera or phone as they walked up) took a photo and I must say that man knows how to move. A line of 20 - 30 people were gone in less than ten minutes. I'm pretty sure all the Ambassadors got their turn next to take photo's of the band and I hope you don't mind Donna but I can't help but to recall the sniffing incident and everyone should know what happened because it was hilarious. ** I will edit it in upon Donna's permission ** Either way, the whole thing happened two seconds before the picture that Donna posted of her, Sheila, and Kemmy w/the band. Next, is again, a story I could tell you no part of as this was when the two girls received their prizes. Tara and I were waiting outside of the hotel (which was attached to the venue) waiting for everyone to gather into the hotel lobby and Mark and Shim came walking around the building, looking deep in conversation about something.

We'd heard from someone that it would probably be at least a half hour before the band came down because they were taking showers, etc. We sat on the comfy couches inside and low and behold, there goes Emma lugging what looks to be a heavy backpack over her shoulder. Only a few minutes went by when we realized that everyone had come down with the presents and were setting things up so I helped by going to get the cake from the front desk. Wouldn't you know that I didn't bring a knife or plates or candles? *shakes head* Mark showed up first with a slice of pizza and apologized for eating. His face was priceless though when he saw all the gifts. Shim showed up next with a video camera and he was recording Mark eating. After a few minutes, Mark asked, "Are you recording this?" Shim nods and then says, "No, no I'm just holding it up like this because I like to." The subject of where Emma could be kept coming up and Shim was trying to get Mark to bug her but he wouldn't so he grabbed his phone and then said, "Nah, I'm not going to f*ck with her." Paul eventually showed up and Shim tried to get him to bug Emma and Paul asked how long has it been? They guessed about 20 minutes and Paul said matter-of-factly, 'she'll be down in a minute.' (Real interesting stuff here, huh? :laugh: )

Mark attempted to get a beer from the bar but everyone quickly explained that he should just open up one of his gifts so Shim called him back.

Let's see, I'm having trouble remembering the order of the things past this point...Shim asked who had come up with the world domination slogan which led to a story he told us about Guitar Center. I think he said that he was talking to the founder back in L.A. (?) and the guy had told him that when he started his business, people always asked how he was going to spread the word and get his name out there and he always answered with "one person at a time" so Shim said that is one of the reasons he really liked the slogan.

Mark asked Shim if he had seen the portable cases with World Crew labels in them so Howard pulled his out to show them and they thought it was a good idea.

They laughed a lot and joked around saying that we probably expected more from them and all of us agreed that it was understandable that they were tired from the show and they've been feeling under the weather. Someone asked when their next day off was (Sheila, I think) and I don't remember word for word but I think they said they were doing five shows in a row and Shim said that was nothing compared to last year when they did thirteen shows in a row. Someone else asked how they like living in L.A. and Shim quipped with, "I like to work." and he mentioned something about it being really easy compared to being in Australia. I asked Shim if he was going to add any more eyebrow rings and he said "Nah, I am thinking about taking one out now because it's a bit bigger than the others..." so I asked if he was going to add any to the other side and he answered saying 'nah, I like the off-symmetrical thing but I was thinking maybe I could start on my ear next and go all the way up, no no I'm just kidding. We really aren't all that much into the whole tattoo thing, right Mark?' Mark looked up and said, "No, I'm not into tattoo's."

Another thing Shim mentioned was logging onto the board and I picked on him by saying, "Oh yeah, you mean the two times you've posted?" He gave me a look that read "give me a little credit" and he said, "Nah, it's gotta be at least six!" :laugh:

I don't think there was much else that happened before Emma came down. She was so surprised that there were gifts for her to open as well. Mark and Shim showed her how much alcohol they received and she looked a bit taken aback so Shim said, "Yea, they must think we're nothing but a bunch of lushes." *EDITED BY ADMIN*

Shim laughed and said something like, "Here I am drinking my tea all day, whatever...but do you know that drinking messes with your muscle memory? Like if you drink every day you'll be fine, but if you're like me and don't drink often and I got really hammered tonight then I would be screwing up on the guitar tomorrow night at the show because my muscle memory is all screwed up, it's weird."

Each band member seemed to really like their World Crew shirts, Shim started to list off the user names and the first one he piped out with was Donna's and her face was priceless! Though Shim did say that "you guys" pick out the coolest names. He also mentioned Shamrock's which is funny because he kept repeating it every time he saw her name (on the "Smarties", the card, and the shirt) enunciating each syllable as if they were two separate words. He said it reminded him of the a Limp Bizkit song but I thought it would be funny *if* the first time he read it, he thought it said "Shimrock."

When they went to open presents, the table Mark was sitting down next to was filled with Shim's and Emma's presents while the table near me had all of his so he got up and sat next to me and there he stayed until the party was over. :rock: Mark opened up all of his cards first. When he read Shari's card, he read out loud what she wrote on the bottom, "the ditzy lady that has the autographs tattooed on her arms" or something like that and it only took him a second to say, "Oh yea! I know her!" After a few cards, he said, "Wow, these all have really long notes in them." When he read Serge's name, he was racking his brain and then he said, "That's the guy from LA?" All the Ambassadors said yes and I added, "Yea, he was the one that just won the video contest." Mark nodded, "Oh, that's right." Watching Mark put on the birthday hat was great, as well as the tiara combs. :biggrin: The marshmallow launchers went over great but alas, it isn't my story to tell. Let me just say it was a good thing Mark asked what the marshmallows were all about because I know I was bewildered.

At about one AM, Shim politely excused themselves. We helped them start to clean up all the wrapping paper and condense the gifts so they wouldn't have to make multiple trips. I don't know who it was but someone mentioned getting an Ambassador group picture with the band (best idea ever!) so we all stood together. I turned to see who was behind me and found myself face to face with Shim's chest so I looked up really slowly until I made eye contact with him and realized that I couldn't tilt my head back any further if I had wanted too. Which is why all I could think to blurt out was, "Wow, you're tall!" *shakes head* :oops: Emma stood next to me for the pictures which was awesome with a capital A! lol. Paul and Donna's friend were the ones taking the photos and after three flashes I assumed we were done so I went to pull away from Emma and she said something along the lines of 'I don't think they're quite finished yet.' So, after what seemed like five more flashes :laugh: and us busting a gut over watching Paul and Donna's friend take a pic, switch cameras, take a pic, switch to a different camera, etc. I gave my last hugs of the night to Emma, Shim (who squatted down so he didn't over tower me) and Mark - which was funny because I was actually on my way behind him because that's where my stuff was and when I told him so, he apologized and I told him that it was cool, the hug was more then welcoming.

We said bye to the band and headed outside across the street where we ran into Paul. I asked if he would take a picture but he was like, "Oh no no no. I take the photo's, I'm not in them. I get to be the mystery guy that people need to find but have no idea what I look like." I debated for a minute if he was being serious but then I decided I shouldn't push my luck.

Okay, side notes: I gave hugs to 6 - 8 people wearing Free Hugs shirts!

I printed out (just in case you skimmed over it) a TON of merch tags and managed to give them all away. Be prepared if you're doing this at any of the shows you're going to, Ambassadors!

I forgot my Sharpie, but I did have a pen that worked out fine. The only problem I found was once you reach the last sign-up sheet on the clipboard, ball point pens don't work very well on them so I had to stick another piece of paper under the sheet just to get the pen to work.

Thank you for those of you that sat through all of that. It literally took two days worth of remembering and typing to get it all down but now I feel like I cleaned out my memory bank for tomorrow night's concert!!! If I think of anything else, I shall add it in.

Crystal
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Crystal » 19 Jul 2008 17:56

And I'm happy to let you empty it! Lol. Thank you so much for filling in the missing blanks!! Now we just need to wait for Donna's explanation of the neck sniffing and Sheila/Kemmy's explanation of the marshmellow guns! :laugh:

Katy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Katy » 19 Jul 2008 18:39

A group pic of the Ambassadors covering the show. L - R: Kemmy, Sheila, Logan's friends, Donna's friend, Donna, Howard, and Logan behind Donna.

Emma...barely

Shim and you can barely see Emma on the far right

Emma in the far back

Emma singing

Blow-up doll behind Mark

Shim

Emma and Shim

Emma

Emma, Shim, and Gerry

Mark, Emma, and Shim signing

Mark and Emma

Mark and I - Can you tell how hot it was? My bangs are pasted to my forehead. :p Take note of the shirt in the background. :laugh:

Howard and Mark

Group photo! L - R: Tara (user name tara_rific,) Emma, Mark, me, Shim

We had taken a ton more photos but being that I didn't use the flash, they all came out dark. Lesson learned, I promise you. They aren't the best photos but I figured I would share anyway.

Samsung
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Samsung » 19 Jul 2008 19:27

Thanks for sharing yoru story!

That sounds like an amazing time :biggrin:

My avatar is always watching.

amyx32

Unread postby amyx32 » 19 Jul 2008 19:31

Peeka-After reading your post, I am pretty pissed off at myself because I left when Emma came on to play with "The band that shall not be named" thinking that there was no way Sick Puppies were coming back out to meet people again. I really wish I had waited lol.

After seeing your pictures, I realized that I was standing right next to you guys during the show but of course, I had no idea who you were at the time. I remembering admiring your shirts hehe

& by the way, this might seem like the dumbest question ever but I'm new on on this, but how did you guys plan a party for the band before the show?

amy

Katy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Katy » 19 Jul 2008 19:42

hshiau
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby hshiau » 19 Jul 2008 23:22

I nominate Katy for best memory.

Shamrock
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Shamrock » 20 Jul 2008 01:26

Ha. Is that kind of like claimage? Does this make me "Shim's Rock"! jk :biggrin: I now feel like I was a part of an unforgettable night - and I didn't even have to be there in person! lol I have always thought it was a little funny that not only do our first names rhyme, but my user name is only a letter off - Shim, Sham and Kim :P By the way, I sent "Smarties", not skittles - it'd be silly to send something they can already easily acquire in the states!

I wanna hear about Donna's hair and "when the two girls received their prizes" - what two girls? what prizes? Peeeka! You Tease!

Also, what were the world crew "Portable cases" for/about? I loved reading your recap, and it's so awesome that you were all able to hang out with the band and let them know how much their fans really love them! Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Concerts”