CANCER

Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

CANCER

Unread postby Admin » 29 Mar 2008 23:41

Cancer

Tell me all your plans and I'll laugh back in your face
Preach me your religion if you're dumb enough to pray

I tried to make a change to get a better way
to make a little more money
I tried to get away to see if I could stay
and look what I became, honey

[Chorus]
What is it I'm after
Searching for disaster
Watching my whole life flash in front of my eyes
We've been given answers
Still we're walking cancers
Dressed up as a life

Get all your news from a corporate company
Trade in your opinon for a gallon of gasoline
Go!

I tried to get away to see if I could stay
And look what I became, honey

[Chorus]
What is it I'm after
Searching for disaster
We've been given answers
Dressed up as a life
Dressed up as a life
Dressed up as a life

This life is a waste of life
This life...
Is a f**king lie!

[Chorus]
What is it I'm after
Searching for disaster
We've been given answers
Dressed up as a life
Dressed up as a life
Dressed up as a life
Dressed up as...

Donna
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

CANCER

Unread postby Donna » 02 Apr 2008 17:17

the lyrics resonate such truth for the times that we live in .... sad when you really think about it .. great song filled with alot of emotion.

I believe in nothing, not the day and not the dark. I believe in nothing but the beating of our hearts

Becky
Founder
Founder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

CANCER

Unread postby Becky » 02 Apr 2008 17:48

ajs8713

CANCER

Unread postby ajs8713 » 03 Apr 2008 11:24

Yeah i agree this song is a great song and a true song.

Stacey
Site Admin
Site Admin

CANCER

Unread postby Stacey » 03 Apr 2008 20:28

Sassy, Classy And A Little Smart Assy

5/31/07-Denver~8/5/08-Casper~8/20/08-Denver~9/8/09-CO Springs~9/9/09-Denver~10/23/09-Nashville~5/12/10-CO Springs~5/13/10-Denver~4/22/11-Casper~7/27/11-Cheyenne~10/16/11-Las Vegas~10/12/12-Casper~10/13/12-Denver~6/22/13-North Platte~9/3/13-Denver~12/13/13-CO Springs~3/10/14-Denver~5/1/16-Jacksonville~12/8/16-Omaha~3/2/17-Billings~4/30/17-Henderson, NV

Cassie
Lead Ambassador
Lead Ambassador

CANCER

Unread postby Cassie » 06 Apr 2008 13:47

Yea, it's a great song with great lyrics and I LOVE rocking out to it.

Donna
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

CANCER

Unread postby Donna » 06 Apr 2008 16:14

I believe in nothing, not the day and not the dark. I believe in nothing but the beating of our hearts

dressedupaslife
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: CANCER

Unread postby dressedupaslife » 08 Jun 2008 20:21

Hahahaha Thats totally me too Donna. I even get my air mic. or my air guitar out and jam at the red lights regardless of the wide eyed stares and finger pointing by the other motorists, lol .....and Cancer is my favorite to rock out to. :D

I'm sending out a signal to the possibility of you...
'Cause right at this moment, I know you're connected to a part of me that I don't even know myself.

Donna
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Donna » 08 Jun 2008 20:27

^^^ haha...yeah I agree...it is completely impossible to sit still while listening to this song..probably a little dangerous for the other motorists around me though :D

omgdenise
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby omgdenise » 17 Jun 2008 12:15

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Karencita
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Karencita » 13 Aug 2008 16:22

Cassandra
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Cassandra » 18 Jan 2009 15:41

What is it I'm after
Searching for disaster
We've been given answers
Dressed up as a life
Dressed up as a life
Dressed up as a life

This life is a waste of life
This life...
Is a f**king lie!

That is my favorite part of the song. =) (One of the best songs to rock out too :music: )

Max Moon

Unread postby Max Moon » 29 Mar 2009 17:33

"Preach me your religion if you're dumb enough to pray "

Can anyone here explain me what's so "great" about an atheist insulting people who do believe ?

I've just discovered the lyrics of this track and I'm pretty disappointed by Shimon disrespect for believers.

So because I DO PRAY i'm "dumb" ?

Wow talk for tolerance and respect of other people beliefs Shim !

Becky
Founder
Founder

Unread postby Becky » 04 Apr 2009 15:52

^^^ I don't necessarily think that line in the song means that Shim thinks all people who pray are dumb, or that he is an atheist. (as far as I know, he has never commented on his religious beliefs or lack there of) Cancer, too me, has a lot of sarcasm and seems to deal with hypocrisy in the world. I always thought of that lyric in line with the "Get all your news from a corporate company...Trade in your opinon for a gallon of gasoline". I see it as more of him addressing people who don't practice what they preach. Preach me your religion if you're dumb enough to pray....tell me how to be, but then you act the other way, so why bother praying? Preachers on TV who "inspire" people to send them money to save their souls, who live in mansions and drive fancy cars. Some of the twistedness of certain organized religions that preach about accepting everyone, but turn around and don't really accept everyone, only people who are like them. Just my take on it. And Shim uses praying in What Are You Looking For....What you've been praying for...Love. So I don't think that one line means he thinks people who pray are dumb, or that he is being closed minded. I think you have to look at it along with the rest of the context of the song.

Katy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Katy » 05 Apr 2009 19:05

Way to go, Becky! Great answer!

Stacey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stacey » 05 Apr 2009 19:35

Wow...great answer Becky. When you have a band such as the Pups who are up front about awareness of different social issues, I think you have to really hear rather than just listen to their lyrics.

Sassy, Classy And A Little Smart Assy

5/31/07-Denver~8/5/08-Casper~8/20/08-Denver~9/8/09-CO Springs~9/9/09-Denver~10/23/09-Nashville~5/12/10-CO Springs~5/13/10-Denver~4/22/11-Casper~7/27/11-Cheyenne~10/16/11-Las Vegas~10/12/12-Casper~10/13/12-Denver~6/22/13-North Platte~9/3/13-Denver~12/13/13-CO Springs~3/10/14-Denver~5/1/16-Jacksonville~12/8/16-Omaha~3/2/17-Billings~4/30/17-Henderson, NV

miket_825
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby miket_825 » 11 Apr 2009 09:56

That is a great answer, Becky. I have to admit, when I first heard that line, is was like :shocked: because I happen to be a person of faith. But I definitely detest all of the hypocritical mumbo-jumbo give-me-your-money-so-I-can-buy-a-lamborghini-bitch preachers and anyone who uses religion as an avenue for hate.
The whole basis of any major religion is love and peace, and the people who use it for the opposite do NOT have my support.
And I'm very cynical of culture as it is, so this song is like "Hellz yes!" ^_^

Oh yeah, and it's way awesome because whenever I play bass on this song, I always end up giving myself whiplash or hitting my bass on something. You just can't stay still while playing this.

Witnesses report seeing a nude group of seemingly random people stealing lawn gnomes in the light of day...

Serge
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Serge » 17 Apr 2009 12:59

Personally I think religion is the only thing holding back the world from progressing into as much love & peace as possible, especially the major ones. So I think Shim's ideals are like mine, we don't believe in religion, or god, but we do believe in Love & Peace, we don't need the whole worship and "god-fearing" parts.

The way I see it is this, I'm personally a very kind-hearted person, I don't hurt people, I don't cheat, I don't do anything illegal, I try to help the world, I respect all living creatures; basically I do so much positive and almost no negative without the use of religion. And according to major religions, even though I'm that way, because I don't believe in what they preach I'll be going to hell? it's totally illogical to me. I believe and follow the word of LOVE and it's all I need, I don't need a god, or a heaven, or hell, and so forth. I think people are too caught up in trying to GET INTO heaven, but instead we should try and CREATE heaven here on earth. <3

But as always, the best way to express my view/point is through the beauty of music, this one in particular being from one of my all time heroes (RIP)

"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."

Riptide
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Riptide » 02 Aug 2009 00:06

I'd have to say this is my favorite on this CD! When I first got the CD, I looked through the list of songs thinking, "How can the not be a song titled Dressed Up As Life?" Not realizing that this was the title track. Excellent song!

Becky, great interpretation of the "dumb enough to pray" line! I think it took a lot of guts for Shim to use that line to get the point across in the song! Many people preach religion and believe they are "saved" because they pray, but then their actions are completely hypocritical to what they preach.

~Ann
" 'Cause what's inside of me is invisible to most, even in clear view"
(Awesome avatar created by Becky, signature picture by Heather)

Sam
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Sam » 23 Oct 2009 15:06

I love how you explain that, Becky. :clapping: I think it's good for someone to address the issues of this world and how people treat each other. I'm a person who believes in God but hate how people say they believe in him but treat other people like crap. We suppose to love one another. :<3:

Return to “Dressed Up As Life”