HOWARD'S TALE

sinistersickness
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

HOWARD'S TALE

Unread postby sinistersickness » 20 May 2008 05:02

This is by far my favorite song off the album, lyrically, and in terms of storytelling, Ive always felt like its the most complete song, not to mention the hook of an ending. I read in an article that it was intentional that it had somewhat of a nursery rhyme esque vibe to it, and Ive always found that to be a good contrast with the song, especially considering the fact that a good portion of the song itself is sung from the point of view of a child

Samsung
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

HOWARD'S TALE

Unread postby Samsung » 20 May 2008 06:53

^^So true.

Welcome, have fun here
I gave you your first hug! :D

My avatar is always watching.

nicolenice
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

HOWARD'S TALE

Unread postby nicolenice » 23 May 2008 14:13

I love this song it is twisted but speaks the truth and the line at the end is weird how it is put but it shows how the cycle will continue. That is why I love at the concert Shim tells the parent to listen to their children or this could happen. I love how he actually directed it to the parents.

Pwneress
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: HOWARD'S TALE

Unread postby Pwneress » 12 Jun 2008 12:17

By far one of their best songs live =) and EVER

omgdenise
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby omgdenise » 17 Jun 2008 11:59

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

mntrumpterguy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby mntrumpterguy » 11 Jan 2010 18:49

This was one of my least favorite songs off of any of the three albums. Untill I listened to the lyrics. Now I can't get enough.

On another note, has anyone read 'nineteen minutes'? This song reminds me of it, even though the book is about a school shooting, but the boy who commits the crive was being emotionally abused his whole life. Very interesting book, and a good read, if a little unpleasant at times. HIts home with a lot of people. Check it out.

"What's inside of me is invisible to most... even in clear view"

It's all about Love

Hollee
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Hollee » 11 Jan 2010 21:01

Katy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Katy » 27 Feb 2010 05:53

Hollee
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Hollee » 27 Feb 2010 10:50

brittany_71
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby brittany_71 » 01 Mar 2010 08:52

very amazing song, love it!

ataglance20079
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby ataglance20079 » 25 Mar 2010 11:34

Gr. i tried that link and it didnt work=/.
This song has stuck out in my mind for the longest time and was one of my first favorite SP songs..
Does anyone know where else I could find the interview?

Music is a powerful weapon, listen with caution, it will change your life.

Tara
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Tara » 27 Mar 2010 11:47

It is definately one of my favorites on the cd and to see live..Emma is always awesome!!!!!!! :rock:

emsmalee
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby emsmalee » 06 Apr 2010 00:57

Such an amazing song. Easily one of my favorites, but then, I have about ten of those. I've always wondered the source behind it. I saw both of their recent LA shows and I was hoping they'd play it, but oh well. :3

JulietteD
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby JulietteD » 08 May 2012 14:00

This is my favorite song by far. I just love it. The lyrics are so incredibly good. It's such a deep song.

I believe it is about a kid, Howard, who is molested by his father since he was five years old till he was nine years old. When Howard was nine, his father left him and his mother behind. Howard is still confused about everything that happened the past four years and will be confused for the rest of his life.
At the age of sixteen, he has sex with a woman. It doesn't take him long to realise that he isn't attracted to women at all.
Still being confused, he tries to convince himself at seventeen that everything that happened is normal, he keeps living in denial. When he's eightteen, he is expelled from school. I always think it's because he fought with some popular kid and broke his nose. I don't know how I came up with that, but yeah.
When he's nineteen years old, he sees a boy sitting in front of a school, and I believe he recognises himself in the boy. Being molested by his father, made him a molester himself.

But I think this song is written from the father's point of view. I think that Howard's father was molested too, and unlike Howard, he told someone: his mother. Only his mother already knew and was so embarrased, she told him to never speak of it again. I believe Howard's father did the same as Howard: he convinced himself that it was normal, and that's why he molested Howard.
I also think that Monsters is a sequel to this song. It confirms my last statement (that Howard's father was molested too): "I know the reason you are running scared, I met the monsters inside your head."
He knows what Howard is dealing with, and that's why he leaves when Howard turns nine.

I could talk about this song for hours, but this is my opinion as short as I could explain it (yeah, I'm pretty bad at explaining things shortly and clearly).

I walk the line of the disappointed, I celebrate when I'm in pain.

RenzoN
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby RenzoN » 09 May 2012 09:17

Monsters is kind of a sequel yes, did you notice the creepy voice at the beginning of the song?? it's like:
"Howard, Howard, crying in the shower
Howard, Howard, been in there for hours"

04/09/11 Amsterdam - 06/17/11 Haarlem - 06/21/11 Dortmund - 06/22/11 Eindhoven - 09/07/13 Eugene - 09/09/13 San Francisco - 09/11/13 West Hollywood - 09/12/13 Anaheim - 09/13/13 Las Vegas - 04/18/14 Amsterdam - 04/19/14 Paris - 04/21/14 Birmingham - 04/22/14 Manchester - 04/24/14 London

JulietteD
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby JulietteD » 09 May 2012 09:19

StephSP
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby StephSP » 10 May 2012 15:33

hmmmm... now, when i concerned myself with this topic, it gives me goosebumps! Because a few days ago a really good friend of mine told me about, that the same thing happend to her sister about 20 years ago! she doesn't knew it til now and the man you molested her, was a family member, too. it's an awful situation for all of the family members who knows of it, i think and my friend has to handle with it very hard! It's a very sensitive topic i guess. but always a current topic. unfortunately!

"My philosophy for life is: don't regret anything you do - cause in the end it makes you who you are"

JulietteD
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby JulietteD » 12 May 2012 04:36

StephSP
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby StephSP » 12 May 2012 08:08

"My philosophy for life is: don't regret anything you do - cause in the end it makes you who you are"

Dominique

Unread postby Dominique » 06 Oct 2015 10:26

Still my favorite song. Ever.

Return to “Dressed Up As Life”