SPWC Fan of the Week #45

Anything and everything you'd like to discuss about the band, their music, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
chandra
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

SPWC Fan of the Week #45

Unread postby chandra » 11 Sep 2013 11:02

Introducing LuLu AuntieQuaint Thomsett, our Fan of the Week!

When did you first hear about the band?
"About 3 years ago… I went to Atlanta last September to the Tabernacle—great show, plus I met everyone! However brief, it was so nice to meet them all."

What is your favorite song?
"I haven’t decided a favorite yet on *Connect*, but I am really excited to be hearing all the new songs. My favorites from previous albums are *Odd One* and *White Balloons*."

Are you a member of the SPWC forum?
"I might be, but I am so busy all the time that if I am I haven’t posted in there in ages."

Where are you from?
"Currently I live in Nashville TN, but my homeland is San Francsico—born and raised hundreds of years ago!"

Favorite ice cream flavor?
"Most any flavor from Ben & Jerry’s. Alas my most favorite flavor has been discontinued by them--*Wavy Gravy* named after a Berkeley activist of the 60’s and beyond. It was an explosion of complex flavors and chunks of nuts and such. Funky and delicious *sigh*"

Why do you love Sick Puppies?
"I love the original songs and the incredible musicianship. The lyrics are superb. I am a child of the 50’s and 60’s and was fortunate to be part of the incredible proliferation of music of those years bridging between the beatniks and hippies-- blues, jazz, rock, classical... and everything beyond, Hell I could even listen to the Grand Ole Opry on the radio on Saturday nights! The fusion of all these styles from previous decades plus the new music from hundred of bands—some still famous today—was part of my life that most of us took for granted until I left the City in 1996 and realized how privileged we were! Sick Puppies would have fit right in to the San Francisco music scene all those years past."

Fun Facts:
"Speaking of the San Francisco music scene, I worked for the late Bill Graham at his original Fillmore Auditorium on Geary Street in the late 60’s before it moved to Van Ness & Market and became known as Fillmore West. I worked with a light show projecting photo slides and color inks that created the psychedelic patterns on the walls… a Paleolithic technique that is completely manufactured today via computer technology. Who knew? It cost practically nothing to get in, and everyone admitted was treated to fresh apples, lollipops and anarchy. Incense burned in a feeble attempt to mask the sweet smell of cheap pot (and other party favors). No one was a *star*, and it was common for incredible musicians from all over the world to pop in to jam with newer bands and performers. I could go on and on—but … a couple memories remain clear in my mind. 1.) Avalon Ballroom 1968. Big Mama Willie Mae Thornton sharing the stage with Eric Clapton and Janis Joplin popped by to sing Ball & Chain with Mama. *thud* and 2.) Juxtaposition of a music filled weekend December 5 & 6, 1969. Ushering a performance of Beethoven’s 9th Symphony at the SF Opera House conducted by holocaust survivor Josef Krips. Running home to change into jeans and warm sweaters to leave in the midnight chill for the Altamont Free Concert, with the Rolling Stones and many other bands. The concert with more than 300,000 ended in violence and is known as the end of the hippie era of love."

Feel free to come hang out with me on the book of faces: http://www.facebook.com/chandra.sylvio

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Sick Puppies”