iOS and embedded videos

Technical Issues? Ask for help here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
David
Ambassador Guardian
Ambassador Guardian
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

iOS and embedded videos

Unread postby David » 10 Apr 2014 18:02

It seems like for awhile now that when I view a post on my iPhone or iPad that has an embedded YouTube video it doesn't show up in the thread and I wind up having to look it up on YouTube itself or Facebook.

It used to work. I don't really remember what iOS update that it stopped working.

Does anyone else have this issue or am I the odd one?

I DO!!!!

Carrie
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: iOS and embedded videos

Unread postby Carrie » 10 Apr 2014 18:05

I have the same issue. Very frustrating. It used to work for me too. I had never thought that maybe it was because of an iOS update. I thought maybe it was me that had messed something up...being all tech savy like I am. :biggrin:

David
Ambassador Guardian
Ambassador Guardian

Unread postby David » 11 Apr 2014 20:20

Come to think of it, I also have a lot of issues launching YouTube videos from Facebook. If I click a video link from there it opens a new window and locks up. If I go to the home screen and then reopen safari it pops up a "open in YouTube" option and then works. But I always have to minimize the window and open it back up.

Sigh. I love apple, it seems their software used to be bulletproof but over the last couple years it's been getting buggy.

Maybe it's a iOS/safari/YouTube issue. I'll have to experiment with some other browsers.

Carrie, what browser are you using?

I DO!!!!

dlcramer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dlcramer » 11 Apr 2014 20:41

Check out https://www.youtube.com/html5

YouTube supports 6 formats. See which ones your device supports. My phone, all of them. I.E on my computer, just 2. Chrome on my computer, all of them.

Another thing to do is go see if youtube was accidently deleted when you updated iOS. It may be as simple as re installing the app.

David
Ambassador Guardian
Ambassador Guardian

Unread postby David » 11 Apr 2014 21:35

Dave, thanks for the link. I've been playing around and am getting goofy results so far, but more than I have been. You are my hero.

On my ipad, In both chrome and safari if I click on your link at the bottom and tell it to default to html5 and then try go to a post with a video it works perfectly audio and video. If I then go to another post with a video (from the 6 year vid to media lounge Emma amped thing) the picture doesn't load but if I click the empty space it will play audio with no video. It feels like the 'default' isn't holding. Makes for a useless default if it only holds once.

I'm going to power the old droid tablet up and see what it does. Where is my power cable for that thing?

Okay, didn't need the power cable. I shut that tablet down at 100% in January and it fired up at 88%. Impressive. I tried three different posts with you tube links and they all worked perfectly. They didn't play in the webpage but successfully launched the YouTube app. I'll uninstall YouTube from my ipad and reinstall it. Not sure that will do much good because I'm current on the updates but it's worth a shot.

Cramer, we have always been on opposite sides of the droid vs apple discussion. I concede this one to you. Droid wins this one.

:argh: :argh:

I'll play with it more tomorrow.

I DO!!!!

Cassie
Lead Ambassador
Lead Ambassador

Unread postby Cassie » 15 Apr 2014 21:34

I won't pretend to know anything about Apple or operating systems but I know the newest update (7.1?) has been a major pain. Our instant photo machines at work won't work with the new update AT ALL currently... :noclue:

Cora

Unread postby Cora » 16 Apr 2014 06:00

Team Android for the Wiiiiiiin!!!! :)

Proud TL of the Webcast Team!
#2016ForDavid :sp: Always in our hearts

Cassie
Lead Ambassador
Lead Ambassador

Unread postby Cassie » 16 Apr 2014 08:11

David
Ambassador Guardian
Ambassador Guardian

Unread postby David » 18 Apr 2014 19:02

I DO!!!!

Cora

Unread postby Cora » 18 Apr 2014 20:13

Proud TL of the Webcast Team!
#2016ForDavid :sp: Always in our hearts

Return to “Technical Support”