Tattoo Aftercare Q?

Something you're itching to say that just doesn't fit anywhere else? By all means, don't hold back. Share it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Myst
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Tattoo Aftercare Q?

Unread postby Myst » 26 Oct 2013 23:09

Sooo I'm taking the plunge this coming week and getting my first tattoo. I know the artist will in all likelihood give me recommendations for all this, but I'm one of those people who like to be super-prepared ahead of time... so I figured I'd ask around. I've done some reading so I know about basic aftercare, just curious about products.

I've heard wonderful things about "Tattoo Goo", but had a hell of a time finding anyplace to buy it. While talking to a sales person in one store who had a few tattoos of her own, she recommended a completely different product that I'm just wondering if anyone else has used? She had the name -really- wrong, so not sure how trustworthy the advice is, and the stuff is a little pricey, so I wanted to check. It's Avene Cicalphate Cream. According to the website, it's a skin-healing cream useful for burns and procedure scars that speeds up the healing process. The gal I was talking to was going on about it making the colors more intense because it has copper in it? Any help would be much-appreciated!

aquarius215
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Tattoo Aftercare Q?

Unread postby aquarius215 » 27 Oct 2013 07:14

After each of my (first) 5 tattoos I just used A&D ointment. It's effective and easy to find. After the healilng period, you have to use lotion to keep the skin hydrated. Make sure you get a lotion without scents or dyes. I'm not sure exactly why but my tattoo artists have always been very specific about that. As long as you follow their instructions, you'll be fine. If it was that bad, would I have 5 tattoos and looking forward to my 6th? lol Good luck! :wave:

crochetmama215@yahoo.com
Don't let someone tell you you're no one...Odd One
What's inside of me is invisible to most, even in clear view
Where did the time go? Hell if I know
I tried to be someone else, but nothing seemed to change. I know now this is who I really am inside.

Myst
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Myst » 27 Oct 2013 08:22

Yeah, I was told about A&D too, but then I finally found a box of "Goo" and #2 on their list of "Do's and Don'ts for your new tattoo" is "Do Not apply any lanolin or petroleum containing product." A&D contains both of those... so I was a bit confused.

Dana
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Dana » 27 Oct 2013 08:53

I've never used the goo before, ive used a&D for all of mine. And then unscented lotion after that.

#2017ForDavid :sp:

Cassie
Lead Ambassador
Lead Ambassador

Unread postby Cassie » 27 Oct 2013 14:58

My skin tends to be really sensitive after tattoos. I tried Tattoo Goo and my skin HATED it. I gave the jar I had away...The only tattoos specific stuff I've used and liked was that AfterInked stuff. It was given to me as a sample. You can buy it online but I always forget about it when it's tattoo time. :noclue:

My aftercare routine is this: Unwrap it after a few hours, wash it and apply A&D. A&D for two days after. Wash your hands first and clean with UNSCENTED hand soap 2-3 times a day. Rinse VERY careful with cool water (it's going to sting a bit) Pat dry and only put enough A&D to just wet your skin. No more than that. A&D clogs your pores and will suffocate your tattoo. After two days, switch to unscented lotion. Walmart has cheap tubes of store brand (Equate) lotion that works great. Aquaphor works too. It's more expensive but you don't have to reapply as much throughout the day...Pretty much just put it on whenever your skin feels dry. Always just enough to cover your tattoo lightly. I usually just put my hand soap in the shower and wash it then. Once a day is fine after the first few days...Once your tattoo/skin is healed (like 2-3 weeks later) I usually switch to Cocoa Butter. (The creme in the small jar, not the lotion) It smells good, and will draw out any dry/light/milky areas on your tattoo and bring that color to the surface. You can honestly put this stuff on every day, of you remember. It's great for your skin and will help your tattoo keep it's color. I usually start to forget to put in on after a few weeks...haha.

The most important thing really is NO SCENTS. Try to keep shampoo/conditioner/bodywash away from it for AT LEAST a few days. It will irritate your skin... ) And I know some artists might tell you to re-wrap it in plastic for the first night...don't. It makes your skin sweat. I did it once and got a rash...

16 tattoos and counting...I've got a nice system...

aquarius215
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby aquarius215 » 08 Dec 2013 07:25

So how did it go, getting your first tattoo? As scary as you thought?

crochetmama215@yahoo.com
I tried to be someone else, but nothing seemed to change. I know now this is who I really am inside.

Myst
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Myst » 08 Dec 2013 16:24

haha, nope! Not scary at all. Though while I was lying on the table a bunch of old ladies walked by the shop and started gawking through the window, which was interesting. My tattoo artist just laughed... apparently this happens often, haha. Only hurt a little in the spots right over my ankle bone, but otherwise not bad at all. This one was fairly simple, so it was only 45 mins/ an hour. My next design (which is SP-related btw) is larger and several more colors, but also on my arm so that one shouldn't be bad either. It'll take a lot longer though... so who knows. Haven't started the consultation part for that one yet, not looking to get it until early next year anyway.

aquarius215
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby aquarius215 » 17 Dec 2013 18:38

Wow, you're brave getting tatooted over your ankle bone! All of my tatoos have been on more fleshy parts of my body (around by belly button, on my right hip and around my left ankle but above the bone), so it really wasn't bad. I was surprised the first itme I got tattooed, because I thought it would take longer too. I don't know wny, it was only a small butterfly, but I thought it would take longer. My next tattoo will be a custom piece, a dragon playng a bass, for my son. I'm putting it on my left hip. I'll post a pic on the tattoo thread when I finally get it.

crochetmama215@yahoo.com

Myst
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Myst » 19 Dec 2013 23:13

Nice :) It really wasn't as bad as I had thought, the ankle part, but maybe I exaggerated a little about location, hehe. The bulk of the design is on the fleshy part, upper ankle, but there's a swirl that dips down by the top of the bone. One of my friends has a gorgeous floral piece that starts above her ankle and winds down over the joint and around onto the top of her foot... it looks amazing, but damn that had to be unpleasant to sit through.

I ought to post in that thread too... I forgot all about posting a picture there afterwards!

Return to “Random”