Free Hugs Adventure

Have your own Free Hugs video or photos? Share them here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
duckductdave
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Free Hugs Adventure

Unread postby duckductdave » 12 Feb 2011 17:05

About Three and a half years ago, the summer before my freshman year in high school, I saw a group of teenagers holding up a poster board sign that said “Free Hugs” Then I began giving away free hugs in downtown Chicago. I crafted a hand made sign from duct tape. I met lots of people while I was giving away free hugs and I learned about the free hugs campaign and watched the “Free Hugs Campaign” Video on YouTube. This is when I learned about the "Sick Puppies”. Some of my favorite songs are “My World”, “All The Same”, “Odd One”, “Maybe”, and “White Balloons”. Through giving away free hugs and exploring the music, I have been able to explore myself and this has helped develop goals for my life.
I have enjoyed giving away free hugs so much that it has become my dream to be a “Professional Free Hugger”. I have come up with a creative project in which I will travel around the country in order to spread love, peace, and happiness through giving away free hugs. A quote that I have found to be really motivating is by Leo Buscaglia which reads: “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” I have experienced this first hand when someone gave me a free hug and I had her sign my Free Hugs shirt and she wrote on the back “Keep it up! Your saving lives”. I have never met this person again but knowing that I impacted her life, it has really impacted my life. I want to explore, meet people, learn about them and listen to their stories while having a positive impact on their lives. I have come up with a plan, which will allow me to achieve this.
My plan is to purchase a Ford Transit Connect in which I will reside for a year while I travel around the country and spread friendly love, peace, and happiness through giving away free hugs. I will spend this year traveling around the country, meeting, talking, listening, and learning while I spend time with different people. “More and more, the desire grows in me to walk around, greet people, enter their homes, sit on their doorsteps, play ball, throw water, and be known as someone who wants to live with them. It is a privilege to have the time to practice this simple ministry of presence.” Henri Nouwen. I hope that this trip will allow me to grow as a person and positively impact peoples lives by being there for them through free hugs.
On this trip I also plan to have a digital voice recorder and a flip camera to document my experience. I would appreciate some feedback and opinions on this plan. I hope to start my journey sometime this summer and have to do a lot of work to make this vision become a reality.

*J*
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: Free Hugs Adventure

Unread postby *J* » 12 Feb 2011 17:17

That is my dream too...except it involves going to a Sick Puppies concert every night!

Good luck with your dream!

dlcramer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dlcramer » 12 Feb 2011 18:09

Wow! Good luck with your adventure! I hope your plan works for you.

Cocoth
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Cocoth » 25 Feb 2011 21:14

What a wonderful plan!!!! It will certainly be a great experience which not so many of us can have. I wish I can... Good luck!! Don't forget to stop in Vermont too!! :smile:

08-02-10 Syracuse, NY 11-29-10 Burlington, VT 03-16-11 Clifton Park, NY 03-28-11 Montreal, QC
09-02-11 Essex Junction, VT 09-18-12 Clifton Park, NY 08-15-13 Burlington, VT 08-16-13 Burlington, VT 11-08-13 Oneonta, NY

HiHatPancakes
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby HiHatPancakes » 09 Aug 2011 13:34

The whole Free Hugs Campaign has affected so many people in positive ways. Except I've never heard of someone going to such an extent because of it!! I hope your plan works out, and I hope you can impact as many people as possible.
And if your campaign is banned, I'll sign the petition to bring it back :)

Let's believe that if we all stand together, we're a force that can shake the whole world.

State Theater . Portland, ME . 11 26 10
Bangor Waterfront . Oxxfest . 7 31 11

"Straight from Los Angeles, California - Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla ... MARK GOODWIN!"

gams13
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby gams13 » 09 Aug 2011 14:41

What a great idea! The power of a hug, smile, kind word....best of luck!

05/14/2011, Rockford, IL * 05/17/2011, Chicago, IL * 07/06/2011, Milwaukee, WI * 07/13/2011, Gurnee, IL * 08/06/2011, Wausau, WI * 09/05/2011, Platteville, WI * 10/16/2011, Las Vegas, NV * 09/15/2012, Chicago, IL * 07/04/2013, Indianapolis, IN * 08/30/2013, Milwaukee, WI * 10/16/2013, Chicago, IL * 10/19/2013, Grand Rapids, MI * 12/17/2013, Madison, WI * 03/01/2014, Joiliet, IL * 03/02/14, South Bend, IN * 07/22/14, Chicago, IL * 07/26/14, Kewanee, IL * 08/01/14, Kenosha, WI

PushyGirl86
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby PushyGirl86 » 10 Aug 2011 06:29

Sounds amazing! Good luck! Be sure to post pictures and/or videos!

Danielle

Rochester NY, Mar 27 / 11
Rochester NY, Aug 01 / 10
Weedsport NY, Jul 19 / 08
Syracuse NY, Jul 30 / 11

duckductdave
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby duckductdave » 10 Aug 2011 06:44

I have started a vlog and I should be getting my car later today! I have a couple video's up and will be trying to keep them updated regularly when I go on my trip! :D I am really excited!! :D lol If you want to check out my itinerary video and stuff the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPnMTKcWqeg So yeah. I also have a blog if you want to check that out it is www.duckductdave.blogspot.com

paulmason
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby paulmason » 19 Aug 2011 02:14

you sir, are a warrior poet. :smile:

im not the master of the universe, i walk the earth the wrong way

Return to “Free Hugs”