Sick Puppies by Johan Wippsson for www.melodic.net

Post links to articles, YouTubes, photos, etc. on the band.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Shamrock
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Sick Puppies by Johan Wippsson for www.melodic.net

Unread postby Shamrock » 04 Jul 2008 20:03

Sick Puppies
by Johan Wippsson (2006-08-24)

Australian adrenalin rock with an alternative edge can that be something! Hell yeah! Sick Puppies that now lives in Los Angeles has their future in their hands with some great songs and a style that can be anything else than adored by any fan of melodic rock. A full length album is on the way and melodic.net had the chance to ask some questions of what is to come etc?.

Hey there, how's life in sunny California?
Shim: Absolutely smoking.
However weve been spending most of our time in the studio. Em makes a point of going out and working on her California tan. I make a point of working on my studio tan. And mark always looks good. (bitch)

You're a pretty new band for the readers of the site. Can you give us the short story about the band and how you got together?
Shim: Emma and I met in the music room at high school in Australia. We were the only two people in the whole place that knew how to play all the songs by silverchair at the time. I played drums and Emma played guitar. We spent a couple of years finishing of school and making our band the heaviest thing we could, then left to win a national radio comp called "Unearthed". We beat out 3,000 other bands, got a record deal, toured with Good Charolette, Midnight Oil and Deep Purple and won the award for best live act of the year. Then we opted to make the trip over to LA instead of making our second record in Australia. Our old drummer left the band so we auditioned Mark in the first few weeks of being here and that was that!

You have a cool name, Sick Puppies. Any special story behind it?
Shim: It was one of many on a long list. I thought of it on a train, then visited my father later that week and he said "Im reading a book at the moment called "Sick Puppy", might be a good name for the band?"

You're originally from Sydney, but are now based in LA. Was it the music that made you to move?

Shim: Definately. Were here to break this country in half and we aint leaving till we do.

You're new release "Headphone Injuries" was out digitally this summer. How has the response been so far?
Shim: Well, People at our shows know the words and sing along now so I guess thats a good sign aye!

Was there never talk of printing ?real? ones, to sell on shows etc?
Shim: There has been much talk. We often talk of such things and things related to said "things". If it were to happen it would be on a short tour we will be doing up and down the west coast through Vegas later this year.

I read in the bio that you?ve been hard working on your forthcoming album in the studio in LA. Are you finished there?
Shim: HELL NO! We aint gonna finish till its perfect. Its gonna be the most perfect example of what rock should be and we aint gonna let our fans down just cause we ran out of time and money

Have you got any release date for it yet?
Shim: HELL NO! But when we know, youll know.

It will be out through Adrenaline Music Group. Can you tell us a little bit about the label?
Shim: Whats a "Label"

How was your signing process with them? Did you get the deal before you left, or?
Shim: No, We almost didnt make it over. We were finishing up negotioations and I took out a bank loan to get us back over from Australia to sign. That was fun.

Haven't seen any name of the producer of your Ep and album. Can you reveal the name is this mystical person? And I bet he's good, the clean rock sound and the powerful guitars are just perfect.
Shim: He or She or It or They...Prefer to stay an enigma. The true identity of the person or persons behind our production will be revealed at the opportune time. And when the identity is revealed the whole world will listen! MMWWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I read that you won an award for ?Best Live Act? at the Australian Live Music Awards. That must have been great and a good proof that you?re awesome on stage?
Shim: Yes, Yes it was.

Is playing live the ultimate experience do you think as a musician?
Shim: Its the ultimate challenge of the musician and the ultimate reward.
When theres no-one listeneing and you have them all in the palm of your hand by the end of the gig, thats the reward. Because all the work that youve done till that point in your life, put them in the palm of your hand and put your music in their heads. And if they walk in knowing the words already, you just rock their face off and party afterwards

How is to play in the US compared to Australia? Are the crowd different etc?
Shim: Not in any dramatic way. Weve only played LA however and I hear that every town is a little different.

What will happen next for the band? Touring?
Shim: Nah, well probably just finish the record and move into a hole on venice beach and eat food.

YES WE ARE GONNA TOUR! The whole time weve been making this record all we want to do is make it perfect so we can get out there and get on a F$&*ing stage!

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work. Is really looking forward to the album
Shim: Were looking forward to playing it.

cheers guys

The puppies

Thanks for sharing this Article, Gigi!

Stephanie
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Stephanie » 04 Jul 2008 23:27

LOL. Great article. Thanks Gigi. Shim seems so hyper in it.

Donna
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Donna » 04 Jul 2008 23:30

Thanks for posting this Gigi! Shim cracks me up :laugh:

I believe in nothing, not the day and not the dark. I believe in nothing but the beating of our hearts

Lisa
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Lisa » 05 Jul 2008 09:14

Cute interview, thanks for posting!

Pwneress
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Pwneress » 05 Jul 2008 10:42

I'm glad you all enjoyed it =]

Return to “Media Lounge”