Article/Interview From 5/17 BellevilleNewsDemocrat

Post links to articles, YouTubes, photos, etc. on the band.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Becky
Founder
Founder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Unread postby Becky » 22 May 2008 05:34

A little outdated, considering they didn't play at Pointfest, but I figured I'd post it anyway. :P

Sick Puppies like being in the U.S
BY SCOTT KIEFER
For the News-Democrat

Members of the fast-rising rock group Sick Puppies are glad to be performing for fans in the United States.

"We love the U.S. and it's music community," said lead singer and guitarist Shimon "Shim" Moore in a recent telephone interview. "The difference is quite noticeable between here and our native Australia. It really is more of a community between the artists and the fans, much like we're all in this together."

Moore says that it's much different in Australia, where the band has not experienced the success that they have here.

"Music in Australia, and pop stars in general, have more of a 'cool factor,'" said Moore. "It's cool to be a pop star, and to be a music fan, and they are more reserved in their options. Here in America, it really is more of a community, and there is a relationship with the fans, and the other acts that we play with.

"In Australia, you won't see fans stand in line for hours just to get to have a few seconds to meet the band or get an autograph like the fans here in the U.S. do," said Moore. "That's what makes these fans even more special to us."

Moore was doing the interview while eating a late breakfast at a Denny's on the road.

"See, we work all the time," said Moore jokingly. "Seriously, though, it makes it worth it, because once you have made it here in the U.S., the world takes notice."

In Australia, everyone watches the U.S. charts, and then seems to follow suit.

"It's kind of strange, really," said Moore, "but whatever works is just fine."

Moore also noted that the loyalty among American fans is something that can't be beat.

"You can have a couple of hit songs and continue to tour North America for an extended amount of time, and make a living at it," said Moore. "You can't tour like that in our home country because there just aren't that many places to go."

Even if you don't know Sydney, Australia, modern rock trio Sick Puppies, you've probably seen their groundbreaking "Free Hugs" video, which has garnered more than 20 million views on YouTube.com since it started streaming on the site last year.

The heartwarming clip chronicles the true life adventures of a man who walks around holding a billboard that reads "Free Hugs," the police who ban his humanitarian crusade, and the petition that earned him back the right to provide hugs to citizens in need.

The "Free Hugs" video, which accompanied the band's song "All The Same," earned Sick Puppies exposure on "Oprah," "The Tonight Show," "60 Minutes" and CNN, and inspired people around the world to begin their own free hugs campaigns. It also propelled "All the Same" into a top-requested single at commercial radio stations across North America.

While the "Free Hugs" video helped spread the music and message of Sick Puppies, the band is anything but an overnight success.

The band released an EP in 1999, that was independently recorded and produced, then started gaining national attention in 2000 with their single "Nothing Really Matters."

The Sick Puppies are running on the success of their current album, "Dressed Up As Life," which was released last year. The compilation has already produced the hit "All the Same" and "My World," which reached No. 8 and No. 20 on the charts respectively.

The single "What Are You Looking For" has just been released and is garnering great airplay in its first few days of release.

"The song is doing quite well," said Moore, "and the live reaction from the fans is good, too."

He says the group hopes to begin working on a video in the near future for the single.

"We want to get to work on a video, but we have been busy playing shows, and are busy throughout the month of May," said Moore. "After that we have a couple of weeks off and maybe we'll get it done."

During May, the Sick Puppies will make a return to the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater for an encore performance at this year's Pointfest.

"We have a lot of fun doing these radio festival shows," said Moore. "It's good for the station, we get to get out there in front of a great audience, and then we get to meet a lot of the other acts, and the fans too. It's a win-win for everybody."

The Sick Puppies usually take a few minutes out of the day to autograph for the fans at their shows.

"We especially try to do the autographing and meeting with the fans at shows like Pointfest, because the whole day is kind of a gift to the fans. We want to do our part, too."

Samsung
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Samsung » 22 May 2008 06:00

Great interview! :D

Another video!!

My avatar is always watching.

Becky
Founder
Founder

Unread postby Becky » 22 May 2008 10:12

Missy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Missy » 22 May 2008 10:38

Great interview! But I think "a few minutes" of staying after for autographs is a bit of an understatement for them hehe

nicolenice
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby nicolenice » 22 May 2008 10:53

Love the interview and I agree that a couple minutes after the shows is an understatement.

Lisa
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Lisa » 22 May 2008 12:25

Liked that interview!...thanks for posting!

Donna
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Donna » 22 May 2008 14:02

Great interview, thanks for posting . It is interesting to hear how different Australia's fans are from the US , especially that they don't wait for hours in line to get rail positions and they don't care about meeting the bands. I think the US fans make up for it though!

on a random note I love Lenny's....I mean Denny's :P

I believe in nothing, not the day and not the dark. I believe in nothing but the beating of our hearts

Return to “Media Lounge”