Newsminer.com Fairbanks AK article (SPWC mention!)

Post links to articles, YouTubes, photos, etc. on the band.
Becky
Founder
Founder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Newsminer.com Fairbanks AK article (SPWC mention!)

Unread postby Becky » 08 Aug 2008 13:56

This article doesn't really have anything we haven't heard yet (except for the inaccurate Sept. release date for a new CD. :laugh: ) But I thought it was cool that there was a little mention of SPWC at the end.

Page no longer available

Sick Puppies build momentum with tours, new album

By Erica Goff

Published Friday, August 8, 2008

Australian modern rock band Sick Puppies will return to Fairbanks Saturday with a 21-and-over indoor concert at The Blue Loon.

Sick Puppies

FAIRBANKS — The scenario is not uncommon: Two teens bump into each other, instruments at hand and minds set on jamming, and the ball is set in motion.

While for many aspiring musicians this ends, at best, with some time spent in a garage or basement learning some cover songs and doing the teenage band thing for a short time before moving on to other interests, it was not so for Australian rockers Shimon Moore and Emma Anzai.

“We had double-booked the music room by accident, so we just started playing Silverchair and Green Day covers,” Moore said of his first musical meeting with now fellow band member Anzai when the two were in high school in 1997. “We struck up a musical chemistry right away and we’ve been together ever since.”

Eleven years later, the two form the rock band Sick Puppies with drummer Mark Goodwin. The trio snagged some mainstream attention in 2005 when a YouTube video called “Free Hugs” — made as a virtual get well-card for former band member Juan Mann and set to the band’s song “All the Same” — garnered 30 million views on the video Web site and made the group and their song familiar to Internet users worldwide. The video shows footage of Mann carrying his Free Hugs sign and is made from old footage Anzai had of him. But, Moore said, while the group is glad to have gotten such a break, neither the video or the YouTube phenomenon embraces the identity of the band or its history.

“It just happened to be set to one of our songs, but it wasn’t made to be an identity of the band. It is just a video clip for the band,” he said.

And the group has been working hard to make their music and their identity as a modern rock band influenced by the likes of Incubus, Green Day, Silverchair and Rage Against the Machine known and loved in the mainstream music scene. The group signed with Virgin Records in 2006 and has been “doing all the typical stuff to try to get a break” in the business, including plenty of touring.

“We did what we had to do,” Moore said, referencing plenty of touring and a move to Los Angeles.

While many fans and potential fans are familiar with the YouTube phenomenon, most are less familiar with the story of what came before the video. After their beginning in high school, Anzai and Moore played with fellow Australian Chris Mileski. In 1999, they released their first hit Down Under, “Dog’s Breakfast,” and two years later their song “Nothing Really Matters” won Triple J’s Unearthed band competition, beating out nearly 3,000 bands for the honor. Later that year their debut album, “Welcome to the Real World,” was released and the band began preparing for a debut in North America, one that led to their album, “Dressed Up as Life,” which has seen enough success to keep them on the road and living their rocker dream.

Like many teens passionate about rock, Moore had dreams of the rocker life. Now that he is living it, he’s found it is not at all what he expected.

“I thought there would be lots of beer and women, constant partying, but it’s not. There are no women and we don’t even have room for beer,” he said. “It is like a real job, it is a lot of work.”

The group enjoys it, he added, because being on stage, creating music and connecting with people is “what it is all about.”

“It’s so much about shows and connecting with people. You can make a video, you can make a song, but it is the connection with people and the music that stays, that means something,” he said.

Sick Puppies will make its second appearance in Fairbanks Saturday night, returning to The Blue Loon for a 21-and-over indoor concert. This is a change from the all-ages outdoor concert originally planned, but Blue Loon owner Adam Wool made the change due to weather concerns. Local bands 12 Year Stretch and Means to an End will open the show, with doors opening at 8 p.m.

Moore said the group couldn’t be happier to return after playing a local show in February.

“Fairbanks is a unique place because of its serenity. You can get back to a good way of life, which we don’t often get because we’re living in the fast lane,” he said. “It is a good place to enjoy, relax and breathe.”

In addition to touring — the group will also be doing a few shows in Texas , Mississippi and other areas in the coming weeks — the band is preparing for the release of their new album, “?,” set for September. Moore said they are also promoting a fan-based project called Sick Puppies World Crew, which awards points to fans that become active in band promotion.

“We are trying to be diligent about connecting with our fans and this is one way to do it,” he said.

What: Sick Puppies, 21-and-over indoor concert, with 12 Year Stretch and Means to an End

When: Saturday, doors open at 8 p.m.

Where: The Blue Loon

Admission: $20, tickets available at 222.theblueloon.com, Gulliver's Bookstore and The Blue Loon

decadence21
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Re: Newsminer.com Fairbanks AK article (SPWC mention!)

Unread postby decadence21 » 08 Aug 2008 14:35

Heh, that's cool that we were mentioned! :cool:
Thanks for posting!

aka Sarah

Samsung
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Samsung » 08 Aug 2008 14:55

Woohoo!
SPWC mentioned!

And I'm going to be diligently waiting for that CD release next month. :wink:

My avatar is always watching.

Sheila
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Sheila » 08 Aug 2008 15:04

ah!!! we were mentioned in an article *feels famous :cool: *

Thats awesome. Thanks for posting Becky.

Katy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Unread postby Katy » 08 Aug 2008 16:17

Becky
Founder
Founder

Unread postby Becky » 08 Aug 2008 16:32

Katy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Katy » 08 Aug 2008 16:50

No, I'm sorry. I meant that Juan Mann used to be a member of the band. I had never heard that before.

Becky
Founder
Founder

Unread postby Becky » 08 Aug 2008 16:54

Katy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Katy » 08 Aug 2008 17:04

Oh, okay. Thanks, Becky! :)

omgdenise
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby omgdenise » 08 Aug 2008 17:40

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Donna
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Donna » 08 Aug 2008 20:48

Great article and way to go on the SPWC mention :rock:

Now the part that I did have to laugh at is the "No beer and no women " :laugh:

I believe in nothing, not the day and not the dark. I believe in nothing but the beating of our hearts

Becky
Founder
Founder

Unread postby Becky » 08 Aug 2008 20:53

Donna
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Donna » 08 Aug 2008 20:59

LMAO....that was my thought as well :biggrin:

I believe in nothing, not the day and not the dark. I believe in nothing but the beating of our hearts

Kemmy
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Kemmy » 08 Aug 2008 21:18

Yay! SPWC was mentioned!

Thanks for posting this

Pwneress
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Pwneress » 08 Aug 2008 23:14

awesome little article full of things we already know and also minor mistakes but hey it was good none the less :smile:

Crystal
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Crystal » 09 Aug 2008 13:23

Haha... No beer and no women gave me a little chuckle as well... :laugh:

Thanks for posting this, Katy! That's awesome that SPWC was mentioned... We're famous now!!! :cool:

akfan

Unread postby akfan » 09 Aug 2008 13:29

Well I can fix the beer problem ha ha ha.... I'll buy him one tonight...the other...well can't help with that... ha ha ha

Lisa
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby Lisa » 09 Aug 2008 20:12

Cool that SPWC was mentiomed, thanks for posting.

angelbear425
World Crew Member
World Crew Member

Unread postby angelbear425 » 11 Aug 2008 17:13

YAY SPWC!!!! Go us!!! That's awesome we were mentioned!! Thank you for posting and sharing with us!! :biggrin: :rock:

Shim: You don't like Rage Against the Machine?
Me: I like one song.
Shim: Which one?
Me: Bulls on Parade.
Shim: F%&* off! HAHA

Cera

Unread postby Cera » 13 Aug 2008 20:05

Last edited by Cera on 05 Jan 2009 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Media Lounge”